Friday, April 4, 2014

Saul Bass Poster

The Seven Year Itch-Tess Reid

I made my poster representing the movie The Seven Year Itch starring Marilyn Monroe. On my poster I took inspiration from Saul Bass. I studied his posters, and downloaded his infamous font. I took the most memorable moment from the movie and recreated it. Once I noticed that wasn't enough, I read more about the movie. I learned that it's about a woman catching the eye of a married man who lives below her in their apartment. I decided to incorporate that by adding the building in the back.
Vertigo-Saul Bass

I chose this poster by Saul Bass because I felt it was nearest to my poster above. The buildings at the top of the poster look similar to the style I was going for when I created the apartment building. The font used in this poster is similar to most posters Saul Bass makes, Hitchcock, but it looks like he used a slightly different font this time. Another similarity in the posters is the border. I noticed Saul Bass usually leaves a unique border of white around his posters, so I recreated that. Overall I loved this project. Saul Bass is a cool guy.

3 comments:

  1. Tess, your poster is amazing! I like how well it correlates with the style of Saul Bass that I thought that your poster was his when I first saw it. The color scheme is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the font you used on your poster and the color scheme you used it rad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! I can see how you have borrowed from the Saul Bass style and even incorporated the building idea from your comparison poster to include in your background to tell the understory.

    ReplyDelete